Friday, June 08, 2007

In Threes

I can't wait for Alexander to get here and start photographing the food. My camera does not do it justice.

My three meals yesterday came in the loveliest colors.

For breakfast I had golden fried banana crepes with pale white homemade yoghurt and a light brown latte. The crepe was served on a pale green plate which complemented the dark wood interior of the restaurant.

Lunch I had at the sad looking Roti Mataba (the look of the place does not match the great food!). Chunks of silvery fish, golden yellow chili, and black-purple eggplant were floating in a brown, red and dark orange sauce, accompanied by pale brown roti.

For dinner I ordered hot friend chicken with holy basil and steamed white rice. The chicken was lightly browned with strips of fiery red chili and dark green basil leaves and stems. Delicious!

***
Bangkok always has its fair share of foreign freaks wondering around. On my first day here I encountered a couple of fairly strange locals as well.
On my way to breakfast I noticed a man standing on the side of the road in only a pair of black underpants with a hole in them. He was struggling to get into his pants, holding on to them with one hand while the other arm was waving about.
I passed a beggar later in the day, sitting on the sidewalk with a cup for money at his feet. He sat with crossed legs, palsm together as if praying/greeting and mumbling to whoever passes by. As I approached him he began to mumble more loudly until until his mumbles sounded like a desperate moaning as I passed him and then he became more quiet again.
Walking back to my guesthouse after dinner an awkward looking man with a round head and very friendly face saw me walking in his direction. A huge giddy smile spread across his face as he stopped, took a look at me that read "You are a strange-looking foreign man," made a strange waving movement with one hand and then walked on giggling to himself.

No comments: