Monday, August 06, 2007

No More Piercing

I never thought of the piercing in my left ear as being temporary. There were too many enraged arguments with my parents about it. The piercing was not just a symbol of my rebellious youth anymore, it was something that I’ve had for more than eleven years and I, being the sentimental type, just could not think about getting rid of it.

Over the years I experimented with other piercings; higher up on the earlobe, the right ear, even a tongue piercing at once. None of them lasted longer than a couple of months. Only the lower end of my left earlobe remained.

For the last three or four years I’ve been wearing the same earring. It’s like a thin barbell type that has been curved with a ball at each end, so that it sometimes look like I’m wearing two items instead of one. It was a fun little accessory. I would sometimes twirl it around when I was reading or watching a movie or waiting for something to happen.

Over the years since college I have obviously changed a lot. My hair is mostly short and not too styled. I do not wear ridiculous bohemian-ish outfits anymore. The make-up has been given too away. I quit smoking and I drink a lot less. The earring, however, has been here all the time.

Recently I’ve been contemplating removing it. I cannot put my finger on any exact reason why. It just felt like it was time for a change.

Over a latte macchiato at the Royal Hotel d’ Angkor a couple of days ago I removed the earring and put it into my bag. Touching my earlobe I could just feel a little bump where it used to be. Later in the afternoon I pointed out to Alexander that I removed the earring and the expression on his face made me realize that maybe it was a good idea.

I would not call removing it as much a rite of passage as getting it in the first place, but I guess it is maybe in a little bit. And it felt just as fine.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Ek en my liefie het al baie vasgesit oor my piercing fetish. Hy weier dat ek nog mag bykry, en het dit wat ek gehad het tot twee verminder. Soms smokkel ek weer ene in (in een van die bestaande gaatjies), maar hy sien dit dadelik raak en raak dan bitterlik ongelukkig.

Marita Says said...

Shame dit is wreed. Watse piercings het jy?